1947 – In April, in the post-War ruin of once splendid Warsaw, Edmund Plewicki finds a wooden green kiosk, a former flower shop. With the help of his friends, he moves it to another street, Puławska, corner with Madalińskiego, for which he obtains commercial authorization and where he begins selling fruit, vegetables, drinks and… donuts he fries himself.
In the summer, Edmund Plewicki becomes partners with his friend and neighbour Kazimierz Kozieł, a confectioner by trade. Kazimierz makes fresh ice cream every day at home and delivers it immediately to the shop. Sweet cream or fruit ice cream are placed with a large spoon in waffles or boxes brought by customers. Since the ice cream shop wins more and more customers, hand-made production is not sufficient anymore which is why the partners introduce first machines. The aficionados of ice cream sold from the green booth are growing in number and, despite the increase in production, the company is unable to keep up with serving eager customers. The first ice cream season – summer 1947 – ends with a huge success for Zielona Budka. Ice cream is a rare product in Warsaw at the time, manufactured only by a few confectioneries and state-owned dairy plants. It is a seasonal product since the companies have no technical knowledge or conditions for storing it, not to mention large-scale sales. For this reason, Zielona Budka is a confectionery that each spring turns into an ice cream shop. In autumn, it becomes a confectionery again, selling only home-made donuts.
1952 – In connection with the Youth Festival organised in Warsaw and in recognition of Zielona Budka, the capital authorities make a proposal to move the ice cream shop to the very centre of Warsaw, right next to Pałac Kultury i Nauki (the Palace of Culture and Science), the current location of the famous Rotunda.
1954 – Zielona Budka returns to Puławska street, but this time to number 47, a ground-floor brick shop.
1960–61 – Another change of address. Zielona Budka stays at Puławska street, but moves to house number 11. The place becomes Warsaw’s best known and most popular ice cream shop. Ice cream is made on the spot, using the artisan method, solely from milk and natural ingredients. Popular flavours include vanilla, sweet cream, chocolate, pistachio, raspberry, strawberry, lemon, pineapple. Zielona Budka is a staple of the city, offering tasty refreshment to locals and tourists alike.
1980 – Bad health forces Edmund Plewicki to sell the Zielona Budka brand and ice cream shop at Puławska 11. After 35 years of running the company, he leaves behind a well-established ice cream brand, one of the most acclaimed in Warsaw. Zielona Budka ice cream is unmatched by any other brand at this time, as proved by numerous press articles and pictures kept by the owner. The new owner is Zbigniew Grycan. The company starts investing in new technologies and expanding across Poland.
1991 – The confectionery at Puławska 11 turns into a real ice cream parlour. The company opens new shops, at Korkowa 92 in Warsaw and at Świętojańska 76 in Gdynia. The Management Board decides to increase the scale of production and build an ice cream facility near Warsaw.
1993 – Launch of a modern factory in Anin near Warsaw.
1994 – Zielona Budka ice cream is sold across the whole country and distributed by more than 80 wholesalers.
1998 – Zielona Budka becomes a joint-stock company. A prestigious financial institution, the French Paribas Bank, invests in the company. A second production facility is being built in the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in Mielec.
1999 – In June, the first products leave the Zielona Budka factory in Mielec.
2000 – In March, the factory goes into full operation.
2001 – In April, Zielona Budka gains a new strategic investor, the funds managed by Enterprise Investors. Over time, they become the majority shareholder of Zielona Budka.
2004 – In May, Zielona Budka is bought by Roncadin GmbH, who has an established position of a major ice cream manufacturer in Europe. The merger of the companies allows for a significant increase of Zielona Budka’s production capacity and expansion of its export business. Thanks to the mutual exchange of the companies’ resources combined with the great tradition of Zielona Budka in using high-quality raw materials and proven recipes we have become even better at achieving our ambition of creating exciting ice cream products.
2006 – The merger of Roncadin GmbH and Richmond Foods plc makes Zielona Budka a member of a large European business, R&R Ice Cream Company.